The Diary of a Young Girl - B.M. Mooyaart, Eleanor Roosevelt, Anne Frank How do you review a book that was not meant to be a book?

The only thing that comes to my mind for this book is..interesting. I'm sure there are better books about Jewish accounts of hiding and their perception of the war and better books of reading a teenager's inner self, contradictions and no-one-ever-understands-me stuff. But on the other hand, this being a diary that was never meant to be published makes all of it genuine and valuable. Her thoughts and accounts of the debates on the political struggles and the war were fascinating. And her strength, writing in such a colourful and cheerful way, while being confined in a place for two years is amazing. Reading her dreams and aspirations, while knowing that this story will not have a happy ending was tragic.

But still, it wasn't an easy read. After a point, I got a bit tired with the continuous repetitions of her teenage complaints. I think I would have abandoned it, if I wasn't travelling on bus, plane and later train for almost a day with nothing else to read.